As someone who travels six or seven months out of every year I see a lot of impressive landscapes that really give me a sense of awe. Whether it’s looking into the deep Grand Canyon of Arizona, a magical beach in Southern Thailand or 3000 temples in the plains of Bagan, Myanmar, I’m astounded by how much beauty we have on this wonderful planet.
At the same time, travelling also makes me appreciate the beauty that resides just over an hour from where I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. If you’re from Canada or thinking to visit, you’ve likely heard of the Canadian Rockies or Banff National Park. Not only is it a UNESCO World Heritage Site but it’s also one of the most scenic areas in the world. It is insanely beautiful. Whether you visit in the summer months to catch the beautiful turquoise-colored lakes surrounded by lush green pine trees and towering mountains or the winter for that magically sparkling landscape of snow, Banff National Park will leave you impressed and in awe of natures beauty.
Just driving through the park is a wonderful activity in itself but if you have more time, which I hope you do, there is an endless amount of activities for all types of people and all types of ages.
In the warmer months, I highly recommend:
- Hiking one of many spectacular trails that take you to one of the mountain peaks for 360 degree views
- Whitewater Rafting the very exciting Kicking Horse River
- Jumping on a horse for a 6-day journey through the rarely seen backcountry
- Taking the Banff Gondola up to the top of a mountain for beautiful out-of-this-world scenery
- Hopping into a helicopter for a truly unique experience and view of the park
- Visit the Fairmont hotel, which looks like a castle in the middle of the Rocky Mountains
- Rent a canoe and go for a paddle at Lake Louise
In the cold months, I highly recommend:
- Strapping on the skis or snowboard and riding some of the worlds best slopes
- Taking the Banff Gondola to the top of a mountain for jaw-dropping views
- Getting warm in the Banff hot springs or Radium hot springs
- Visit the beautiful castle hotel – Fairmont Banff
- Strap on snowshoes and go for a hike at Mt.Norquay
- Feel like a Canadian by skating around frozen Lake Louise
This is just a small list of the activities and adventures that await you in Banff National Park. Actually, if you’re visiting Canada, I highly recommend visiting MustDoCanada.com.
What place stands out as one of the most scenic areas in the world to you?